10 March 2012

Free Resources - Take 'em where you can get 'em

Last year, I discovered a site called Freecycle, where you can post items that you're getting rid of, post messages of items you're looking for, and people will contact you through the site. And the best part of it all is, it's free!


Recently, I posted a message asking if anyone had a computer keyboard they were looking to get rid of. Why, you ask? I saw this little tidbit through Pinterest:


This is the explanation from the author of "3rd Grade's a Hoot:" "I just took an old keyboard and fancied it up with cutesy stickers. They "type" their words. I get a kick out of watching them do this. Some of my girls take it so seriously and act like they are at the office."

Now, I realize that my wee nursery kids don't quite have the grasp of reading, writing, or letters for that matter, but this idea was just too good to pass up (and I got FIVE free keyboards through Freecycle!). I started thinking about how I could use this idea, but gear it towards my little ones. Some suggestions from friends were to take the keys off the keyboard to use as letter blocks, or to use them to practice username and password for the computer. That's a little advanced for my lot, but some of them WOULD be interested in typing their names (and may even be able to do it!). Most of them, however, would just like to tap away on the keyboard for the sensory impact of it.

This week, I think I'm just going to put some of the keyboards out and see what happens! Kids are clever and creative. They may think up something completely different, but just as engaging.

No comments: