15 May 2013

Reading Group Management

"Mrs. West, can I go to the water fountain?"

"Mrs. West, what do I do now?"

"Mrs. West, I'm stuck."

"Mrs. West, I like dogs."

Sound familiar? During reading groups, I expect my kids to get started with their jobs right away and stay on task while I meet with reading groups. However, there's always a handful of children who vie for my attention in one way or another, and I end up with a string of 8 year olds at my elbow: "Mrs. West. Mrs. West. Mrs. West." Ignoring them just didn't seem to give them the message.

On Monday, we had a chat about what their responsibilities are during reading groups, and what mine are. We decided on the following:

Pupils will:
1. Get started right away
2. Stay on task
3. Use soft voices
4. Think what makes sense

Teacher will:
1. Meet with reading groups
2. Ask questions
3. Give praise
4. Give advice

Pretty great list from a group of 8 year olds, if you ask me. Number 4 on the pupil's responsibility list was the most important for this particular discussion. We added that one in because sometimes they just need a reminder that they need to think for themselves before coming to speak to me. We talked about how they need to think, "do I really need to ask this question right now?" and "What makes sense for me to do right now?" The children are always given enough information and tasks to keep them going for the whole reading session, so they shouldn't be asking me "what do I do now?" (Does anyone else hate that question? I have a whole display in my class called the "I'm Done" board with choices for them to choose from when they're finished).

Even after our discussion, though, I still thought the kids might need a visual reminder that they need to think before coming to me. It's not fair to interrupt another group's time with me! I found this cute lantern at ASDA (Scottish version of Walmart), and I keep it with me during reading groups. When the light is on, the kids know that I'm only available to the reading group I'm meeting with. I turn off the light when I'm transitioning to a new group. That way any pressing issues can be dealt with quickly before I meet with my next group.



So far, it's worked really well. The kids have really seemed to "get" it that I'm busy and that they need to think for themselves or ask a friend before coming to me. When I turned on the light with one reading group today, a wee girl said, "Yes! No one can bother us now!" I'm glad she enjoys our time together so much!

No comments: