26 September 2011

Colour Recognition

The other week, I came across a photo of this colour recognition/fine motor activity on Pinterest, so I decided to make a set for my classroom! I popped down to B&Q (just go to your local hardware store) to pick up some wooden clothespins and (free) paint chips to get started.



Make sure you pick up 2 of each colour paint chip because you're going to be cutting up one and keeping one intact.






You're also going to need scissors and glue. I started out by measuring the top of the clothespin and cutting out the pieces from one set of paint chips and gluing them on the clothespins. I realized that I wouldn't have enough clothespins for all the colours I chose, so I ended up cutting some shades off the "intact" paint chips.



I also realized that I could add a third learning opportunity to this activity! I only have 1 yellow, 2 red, 3 green, and so on. So not only will the children be practicing their colour recognition and fine motor skills, but they will also be developing their number skills!



When I got to school, I also laminated the paint chips so they last, and popped them in a basket with the clothespins. The kids had a blast matching them and they were really interested in discovering different shades of colours. One bright spark said as he pointed to the shades of green, "This one is dark, this one is lighter, and this one is lightest!" He was very pleased with his observation, and so was I!

No comments: